Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Lactating Armpits & other awesome stories....

We jumped the gun yet again and went to our breastfeeding class last nite at the hospital like 2 months earlier than everyone else apparently. oh well, we like to be super prepared in advance i guess.

The woman who taught it was hilarious and I'm looking forward to having her as our Childbirth Class teacher (starts next thurs!5 weeks long). One of the stories she told was about a woman who had like 5 fully functional nipples, two of which were in her armpits! gross! but sort of awesome too. you'd have like built in armpit milk cannons! and no one could get mad at you for exposing yourself in public when you fed your baby! LOL.

I kind of felt like a couple of hippies when we went around the room for intros. we were supposed to tell who our doctor was and where we were "delivering". all of the other girls said "dr. soandso is delivering our baby here" I wanted to say "uh, no one is "delivering" anybody here! I'm giving birth and my husband here is going to "receive" our baby and there will be a doctor or midwife to oversee the birth and a doula to assist." I think instead I just listed our "team" and skipped to the next question. then again, I was the only person in the class who admitted to knowing anything about breastfeeding, which was weird to me considering they were all about to give birth. I guess breastfeeding is a last minute or even an afterthought for alot of women.

but i guess i promised "other awesome stories" in the post title, so now I have to think of something.....

Baby's kicks are getting increasingly more powerful! Sometimes my belly actually "jumps" a little bit. I've been watching it carefully and I bet in a week or so I could get a video of it moving! Half the time though, she's kicking/punching straight down into what feels like the uh..."exit", if you will. lol. :D that's a pretty weird sensation. She also is doing some "rolls" or something, and if i were a more slender gal, you'd probably be able to see it. but seeing as there's several extra layers of "fluff" or "padding" between her and us, it's not as obvious. I was sort of bummed about it but I mentioned it to Mark, who thought that was kind of creepy, and was happy he didn't have to see the baby rolling about in my tummy. lol. I think he's content to feel a kick or two every once in a while.

No comments: