Saturday, July 05, 2008

Childbirth Class (Part 3)

So this is where things got a little heavy. We talked about interventions in this week's class. Yuck. Me no likey. Yes, I've educated myself about ALL my options from all different viewpoints, not just the ones I prefer...but I still can rather not study in detail, over and over, the ones that freak me out. I've seen a cesarean birth before several times on Discovery Health like forever ago, but during the video in class I seriously had to turn my head which isn't like me. I just can't let myself get into a panic about things that might be out of my control. I'm trying to stay on a positive path of doing everything possible to help prevent unnecessary interventions.

I let my inner "hippy" out in class again this week by mentioning that isn't it funny that they can show these major surgeries on television, yet not a full on vaginal birth. God forbid our eyes behold a vagina doing what it was made to do!! One guy said he'd rather people see his wife's intestines than her vagina! whhhhaaaaaattttt????? you'd rather your wife be sliced open and her innards spilling out everywhere than for someone to see a baby coming out of her naturally? Okay, I'm now officially convinced that there is too much violence in the media and not enough total female nudity. Are you Freaking Serious?? what is WRONG with you people???? So I just had to respond that it definitely wouldn't be the vagina that he knew, it was going to look totally different during birth anyway. it's an organ that has two different purposes and I'm pretty sure mature adults can make the separation without much trouble.

I was saying "vagina" alot i guess, which seemed to make people squirm. *rolls eyes* Come on people, we're not 12 years old here. It's an actual medical term, not a cuss word! and for god's sake we're in a hospital in a childbirth class!! lol.

1 comment:

Sarah Fruetel said...

You crack me up with your writing!