Friday, April 04, 2008

Weight-ism

So issues of weight have always been important to me for obvious reasons. I get sort of tired of trying to explain to people how it feels to be treated differently because of your size, and most people, especially people who have never had a weight problem, refuse to acknowledge that this is a problem. Some well meaning friends and family even go so far to tell me that i'm not fat. HA! well, now i KNOW you are lying. I AM fat, I'm fat, not retarded... I can look in the mirror.

i've been getting especially irritated at some of the threads in my pregnancy message boards on iVillage because of the totally insensitive way women talk about weight. Slender women are SO terrified of getting fat because subconsciously they know it will change the way they are treated, but yet they refuse to acknowledge that it happens to me and other plus-size women.

And just a month ago at Mark's work party, some women were talking to me about how "horribly fat and gross" they got when pregnant, i mean...like 200 pounds, seriously. being OVER 200 to start with, i stood there stonefaced and completely ignored that part of the conversation. do people even THINK when they talk?

I talk about this stuff alot with Cyndie and I'm so thankful to have her as a Sister in Law and a friend. I feel like we really bond on this issue and she totally knows where i'm coming from. we were even talking last nite about this.

anyway, now it's not just me yapping on and on about it to Cyndie. I feel totally validated at this moment.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=4568813&page=1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got your back!

Anonymous said...

hey i totally understand where you are coming from being a bbw myself. my dad said to me the other while we were looking at photos of me in high school when i was skinny. 'look how beautiful you were' i looked at him and said, i'm more beautiful NOW, he didnt even know what to say, because to him, Phat is NOT beautiful.
we are beautiful, no matter what they say...
i told rebecca today that we are zaftig... love that word...

sheri