Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Soapbox

So normally I try to stay away from talking about my personal political and religious views since this isn't that kind of blog. But...since I'm about to have a baby, I feel like this is "kind of" on topic. lol.

Is anyone else freaked out by the fact that Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin has a five month old baby? It doesn't bother me that other candidates have school age children, but an infant? Seriously, being VP or even possibly stepping into the presidency with an infant (with special needs no less) to care for seems really weird to me.

Why is no one in the media talking about this? I could care less that her 17 year old daughter is knocked up! I'm tired of hearing about it frankly. What I want to to know is : what kind of attention this woman can possibly pay to both her job and her baby. Being Vice-President is kind of a big deal job it seems. Not the kind you can just "leave at the office" at 5pm. I can't imagine how much time away from a very needy little being it would require.

I'm starting to think that people might be afraid to bring it up lest they be labled "sexist." But it would be nice just to hear that maybe her husband is the main caregiver and she's just not "that kind of mom" or something. It's just weird for me that it doesn't even seem to be an issue.

Anyway, we've been watching both the Democratic and Republican conventions and I've got politics on the brain. Trying to distract myself from my seemingly (up untill today) endless pregnancy. lol. :D

4 comments:

Sarah Fruetel said...

Thank you for bringing this up! I believe the baby is four months old and let's top that off with he is down syndrome. I've spent numerous years working in a non-profit, private school for normal and special needs children. Down Syndrome children require a lot of time and attention from their family to succeed in life. What kind of person would take a VP position when you have a child that needs you so bad? I'm more than disturbed about this......

Anonymous said...

I agree! I was also wondering about this. Not only do special needs children take up lots of your time, but I think she has like 5 other kids? And who is going to raise the grandchild? Not the 17 year old, that's for sure!! It will up to Grandma and Grandpa. And why is nothing being said about her husband and where he fits into all of this? All of the responsibility for the children is going to fall on his shoulders if she has to hop on Air Force One and jet off to Iraq or somewhere? Wonder how he feels about all of this?
It just seems like an odd choice for VP to me, but then I'm not a Republican!!

Anonymous said...

Go soapbox! Jess and I were talking about this. Not just as an infant but a special needs child requires a great deal of attention. She can't even begin to know how much it will require until it starts to grow. They won't even be able to determine the extent of it until it is a child so how can she possibly be okay with taking on such a big career responsability.

Anonymous said...

I am very conservative, very. Still, I am bothered by this. I have many children myself, went through a false positive screen for a chromosomal anomaly....though my near year old is healthy I thought about it a lot. I have healthy children, and don't work out there. I stay home partly because I just enjoy being here, and partly because I feel it's my role as mommy to be the mommy and not outsource myself for a wee one. Now, if we couldn't feed our children, and I had to work, I would do it.

Blessings!
Dawn